Tortas de Aceite - Olive Oil Cookies
Tortas de aceite are Spanish olive oil biscuits traditionally made during Holy Week. They are thin, fragrant biscuits with a pleasant hint of anise and sesame seeds. They are so light and delicately sweet and tasty, that once baked, are eaten almost immediately. That is why my advice is - double up the quantities!
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water, then add olive oil. Mix well and leave to rest for a few minutes for yeast to activate.
- Mix all the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, salt, anise and sesame seeds and cinnamon powder.
- Add the liquid to the flour mix and mix well. Work the dough for 5 minutes to obtain a smooth dough. Leave to rest covered for at least 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 balls of approximately 35 g each. Roll out each ball with a rolling pin, until you get a thin biscuit of about 10 centimetres in diameter. Place the biscuits on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Brush the surface of the biscuits with previously beaten egg white and sprinkle with plain sugar.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes at 200°C in fan oven. You want your cookies to get this beautiful golden colour!
- Let them cool on a grate.