Tortilla de Patatas - Spanish omelette
Tortilla de Patatas is one of the signature dishes in the Spanish cuisine. High quality ingredients and some very precise steps in preparation are the key elements for a state-of-the-art tortilla: it's all about perfect balance between eggs and potatoes, the creaminess of the interior enclosed by the crispy exterior. There is no right or wrong time to eat a tortilla, every moment is a good one, from breakfast or mid-morning snack to tapas.
- Peeling the potatoes and cut them in 4, lengthwise. Then slice them into 4-5 mm thick slices. Cook the potatoes in seed oil at 100 degrees (I wouldn't use olive oil as it will have a very dominating flavour) and salt. Let deep fry at low fire for 15/20 minutes, until tender. The Spanish call this frying method pochar las patatas. Just make sure your potatoes are completely submerged in oil at medium-low temperature. Once the potatoes are done, drain them from the oil, tap with some kitchen paper to absorb the excess oil and keep aside.
- In a non-stick pan, sauté the chopped onion over low heat until tender and lightly browned. It should take about 10 minutes.
- Beat the eggs lightly in a bowl but be careful not to overdo it, we don't want to incorporate too much air in them. Add the previously cooked potatoes and onion, mix well and season with salt. The egg and potato ratio must be perfectly balanced.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick pan of about 20 cm in diameter. When the pan is hot, pour the mixture with the eggs. It's very important that your pan is searing hot so that your tortilla doesn't stick. Move and swirl the pan to make sure the tortilla is detached from the bottom. Tuck the edges well with a spatula, this will give your tortilla a nice, rounded edge. After a few minutes turn the tortilla, using a plate or a pan lid, and cook on the other side for 2 minutes. Gently touch the centre of your tortilla to check if done. Remember that the inside must remain soft and creamy.
- Remove from heat and let rest for a few minutes before serving.